Resources: reused and recycled
Materials and products that were sustainably grown, harvested, produced and transported are featured in the design and construction of the Center for Urban Waters. Waste reduction, reuse and recycling were maximized in all aspects of construction and building operations. Recycled content materials include:
- Red siding along the water side of the building is 65% pre-consumer material.
- Structural steel is 80% post-consumer material.
- Carpeting is 34% pre-consumer material.
Salvaged materials include:
- Granite curbs recovered from street improvement projects were made into
- Timbers salvaged from the Tacoma Municipal Dock were remilled and used on walls in the lobby and conference rooms, as well as the lobby ceiling and reception desk.
More than 99% of the waste generated during construction was recycled.